RFA Darkdale

Saint Helena

Empire oil was a steam tanker built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Company in Scotland for the British Ministry of War Transport in London. She was launched in July 1940 and was transferred to the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and renamed RFA Darkdale in November that same year. While she laid at anchor outside Jamestown loaded with aviation fuel and several variants of oil, she was spotted and torpedoed by the German uboat U-68 under command of Korvettenkapitän Karl-Friedrich Merten 22. October 1941. Four torpedoes hit her and she broke in two. Part of her hull remained partially visible on the surface for several days after the attack, before she completely disappeared in the deep. 42 men of her crew lost their lives in the sinking. A monument is raised in Jamestown honoring the casualties. The wreck rest today outside Jamestown on a depth of 33 to 47 meter. Also see the wrecks of Papanui and Spangereid in James Bay.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
RFA Darkdale
Empire Oil
468,0 x 56,3 x 39,8 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
8145 grt
Glasgow ( UK ) 1940
London ( UK )


Last updated: November 2019