SAS Good Hope

South Africa

HMS Loch Boisdale was laid down at Blyth Harbor & Dock Company in November 1943, and was launched in July 1944. Originaly she was meant for service in Royal Navy, but was before completion transferred to the South African navy and renamed to SAS Good Hope. After a brief period as an escort and transport ship for returning troops after the war, she sailed for South African waters in 1948. She was rebuilt and fitted out as a training vessel in the 1950's and was in 1965 placed in the reserve fleet. Twelve years later she was sold for scrapping, and her hull was eventually donated to be sunk as an artificial reef. She was deliberately scuttled in False Bay 12.December 1978, and laid herself to rest on a depth of approximately 32 to 40 meter. Also see her sister ship SAS Transvaal.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Good Hope
K 432, HMS Loch Boisdale
307,9 x 38,7 x 12,4 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1435 displ ( std ) Blyth ( UK ) 1944
( SA )


 
Last updated: January 2021