Great Nothern

Tanzania,Africa

The steamship Euxine was built by Gray Denton & Company in West Hartlepool, and was launched in 1870. Four years after her launch she was sold to Eastern Telegraph Company and renamed Great Northern. She was extensively used for cable laying. In 18790 she was sold to Eastern & South African Telegraph company and sailed to her new base in Zanzibar. Under repairs on the telegraph cable from Zanzibar to Mombasa, she hit ground in the evening 5. December 1902. Her hull was ripped open and she sunk in shallow waters with her mast still visible on the surface.. Several ships came to assist, and the wreck was soon inspected and found unworthy of saving. The cable and other equipment was salvaged and the wreck was soon abandoned. In the 1950s her bow was scrapped in situ, and her remains was "rediscovered" in the late 1970s. She is now a popular dive site in Tanzania. There isn't much left of the ship anymore, but the flattened remains oh her is totally overgrown with corals. Her remains rest right outside Zanzibar at Pange Sandbank outside Nakupenda Beach on a depth of 15 meters.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Great Northern
Euxine
240,0 x 32,3 z 23,9 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1422 grt
West Harlepool( UK )
  Zanzibar  UK )


Picture: Great Northern
Unknown photographer


Last updated: January 2021