SAS Pietermaritzburg

South Africa

HMS Pelorus was an Algerine class minesweeper built by Lobnitz & Company Ltd in Scotland, and was launched in June 1943 for the Royal Navy. She was commissioned in October 1943, and served mainly as an escort in Atlantic convoys in 7th Minesweeper Flotilla. She participated in Operation Overlord 6.June 1944, where she was the lead ship at Juno Beach. She was sold to the South African navy in 1947, and was renamed SAS Pietermaritzburg. In the 1950's she was placed in the reserve fleet, and used as a training ship in the 1960's. She was stripped down and scuttled as an artificial reef in Smitswinkel Bay 12. November 1994. The wreck rest today on a depth of 22 meter north of Millers Point. Also see the wreck of the trawler Oratava in Smitswinkel Bay.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
SAS Pietermaritzburg
J 291, HMS Pelorus
225,0 x 35,6 x 12,3 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1030 displ ( std )
Glasgow ( UK ) 1943
( SA )


Last updated: January 2021