Spangereid

Saint Helena

Fairport was a schooner built by Russel & Company in Scotland, and was launched in April 1896 for C.W Corsair in Liverpool. She was sold to the Norwegian company Fairport AS in 1910, and five years later to Stray & Compagnie where she was renamed to Spangereid. Under a journey from Delagoa Bay to Gothenburg loaded with coal, her cargo caught fire while she laid at anchor outside Saint Helena 2. October 1910. She was written of as a total loss and scuttled 2. October 1920. The battered remains of her rest today close to shore in James Bay on a depth of 3 to 7 meter. Also see the other Saint Helena wrecks of Bedgellet, RFA Darkdale, Frontier, Papanui and Portzic.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Spangereid
Fairport
265,9 x 40,0 x 23,5 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1996 grt
Glasgow ( UK ) 1896
Kristiansand ( N )


Picture: Spangereid
Courtesy of Sjøhistorie & T.B Jensen, Public domain

Last updated: November 2020