Louise

South Georgia,South America

Jeannie S was built by G.C Bliss in Freeport and was launched in 1869. She was sold to a Norwegian company in 1880 and renamed Louise. Se was bought by C.A Larsen at an unknown date, and prepared for service in Antartic waters. She arrived South Georgia in 1904 when Grytviken whaling station was constructed, and was used as an accommodation vessel and coal storage. She was eventually beached on the south side of the harbor and abandoned. During and military exercise in the 1980's, the hull was severely damaged by a fire and she burned down all the way to the waterline. The remains rest today on the south side in Grytviken, almost fully submerged in shallow waters. Also see the wreck of the whale catcher Fortuna at Hope Point.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Louise
Jeannie S

     
Tons: Built: Home Port:

Freeport ( US ) 1869
( UK )


Picture: Fortuna and Lousie
Eldbjørg Spetalen Collection

Originally from skovheim.org
Last updated: August 2012